- One or more hypotheses are proposed to explain observations.
- A hypothesis should be testable and lead to predictions.
- A prediction should be falsifiable through tests.
- A test may take the form of further observations or a controlled experiment.
where the effect of one variable is checked
by testing control and experimental groups that differ in only one variable.
- The test results should either support or reject the hypothesis.
- If supported, the hypothesis gains theoretical value and is further tested.
- If rejected, the hypothesis is either revised or discarded.
A hypothesis that has sufficient support via many tests may be accepted as a
Scientific method exercise