Field Trip: Herbarium
We will collect plant samples and prepare herbarium specimens.
- scissors/knife if sample needs to be cut
- plant press - pieces of cardboard or the textbook/lab guide should work
- small bags to store samples
- mounting paper - cardboard or poster board
Place the specimen between a layer of newspaper and the press.
After drying for a few days, mount the specimen by gluing to a stiff piece of paper.
Do not use scotch tape. Label with:
- class name
- your name
- date and location where specimen was collected
- scientific and common name of specimen
- some interesting facts about the species